February 7, 2020
Dear WVUSD Parents and Families,
The following information is the latest update from the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health.
LA County continues to have only 1 confirmed case of coronavirus in a non-resident traveler. On January 31, 2020 the Health & Human Services Secretary declared coronavirus a public health emergency in the United States. As part of this declaration, quarantine and isolation procedures have been implemented.
All travelers from China will be screened by CDC staff at designated airports:
- Any traveler who is sick (fever, cough, respiratory illness) will be quarantined.
- Travelers from Wuhan City or in the Hubei province will be quarantined for up to 14 days.
- Travelers from anywhere else in China and who have been in contact with someone who has a confirmed case of coronavirus, will be quarantined for up to 14 days.
- All others, healthy travelers, from mainland China will be given restrictions to self-isolate and self-monitor for fever and illness. The local public health will monitor and provide support to travelers. This only applies to travelers from mainland China. This does not apply to travelers from Hong Kong or Taiwan.
Quarantine – This is a legal term. Persons will be issued a quarantine order from CDC and transported to a military base in Riverside for quarantine.
Self-Isolation – This refers to social-distancing. Persons will be asked to go home and stay at home. They are to not to go to work, school or out in public. This is not quarantine and there is no legal order to self-isolate.
Duration of Quarantine or Self-isolation – up to 14 days based upon date of last potential exposure.
These guidelines went into effect Sunday, February 2, 2020. The guidelines do not apply to travelers that entered the U.S. prior to that date.
Identification of persons in quarantine or self-isolation is confidential. Public health will not notify schools if a student is in quarantine or self-isolation. The family will be asked to inform their child’s school that the child will be out of school. The absence should be excused.
- Schools are not to investigate or inform students/parents that a student must self-isolate or be excluded from school.
- Public health will monitor and follow up persons in self-isolation.
- Schools are expected to provide support to students who are in self-isolation. Support includes – providing access to their education, such as through independent study or online instruction.
- There is no reason for any school to close due to coronavirus.
- The risk of coronavirus in the U.S., California, and Los Angeles remains low. These guidelines are taken out of an abundance of caution.
- Prevention practices helpful for all illnesses:
- If sick, stay home.
- The best prevention is handwashing with soap and water for 20 seconds or using an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Cough or sneeze into your elbow or cover with tissue, throw tissue away and wash hands.
- Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth.
- High contact areas such as door knobs, etc can be cleaned with regular cleaning supplies.
WVUSD continues to put student wellbeing and safety as the highest priority. We will continue to provide our parent community with updates regarding the coronavirus.
- 来自中国其他任何地方, 曾与确诊有冠状病毒的人接触过的旅客，将被强制隔离14天。
- 来自中国大陆的所有其他健康的 旅客，将被限制要自我隔离和自我监测是否有发烧和病徵。 当地公共卫生人员会视察旅客并提供所需的协助。 这仅适用于来自中国大陆的旅客；而不适用于来自香港或台湾的旅客。
强制隔离- 是一个法律术语。 CDC（疾病控制中心）将向当事人下达检疫令 ，并将被送到河滨县的军事基地进行隔离。
自我隔离-这是指远离社交场合。 人们将被要求回家并留在家里，不要去上班，上学或外出到公共场所活动。 这不是强制隔离，也没有法律上的隔离令。
- 学校应该为自我隔离的学生提供协助； 包括-提供其他受教育的途径，例如通过独立学习或在线指导。
- 想咳嗽或打喷嚏时， 用肘部或用纸巾遮住口，扔掉纸巾并洗手。