Message from Walnut Valley Unified School District
March 11, 2020
To All Walnut Valley Parents and Guardians:
We are constantly monitoring the Coronavirus (COVID-19) situation and updating our response based on the information we receive from the LA County Department of Public Health (Public Health), the California Department of Public Health, and the Los Angeles County Office of Education. This situation is dynamic and evolving each day and we want to reassure you that our priority is student and staff health and safety.
According to the LA County Department of Public Health (Public Health), we can expect more confirmed cases in the near future. Still, the county health department tells us that students who are not ill can continue to attend school. The schools will remain open. Public Health will work with schools to assess and determine, on a case by case basis, if a school needs to dismiss or close.
Public Health has confirmed two community transmission cases in the LA County, but no individuals (students or employees) at any of our schools have tested positive for COVID-19. Public Health has now moved to Scenario 2 actions.
In addition to the preventative actions we have been implementing, Public Health and the California Department of Health have recommended several actions including the following under Scenario 2:
- If students are mildly sick with a fever, students must stay home until students have been fever-free for 72 hours, except to get medical care.
- Limit visitors to the school by not allowing those with symptoms of fever and/or respiratory infection or who have a travel history over the course of the last 14 days to an area identified by the CDC as Level 3 Travel Health (This is a reiteration of previous guidance.)
- Consider alternates to congregate or group programming within the school including any large or communal activities such as assemblies.
- Consider relaxing requirements for a doctor’s note for the child to return to school after
Based on the recommendations from above:
- We are canceling all Open House events.
- If students are mildly sick with a fever, your child must be fever-free without medication for 72 hours.We have changed the fever free criteria from 24 hours to 72 hours.
- We have decided to relax the requirement for doctor’s note for the child to return to school after illness.
- We are limiting visitors to the school by not allowing those with symptoms of fever and/or respiratory infection on campus.
- We are currently working with Public Health to determine the impact to other school activities and events.(We will continue to monitor the situation and update you.)
We are continuing to plan for other measures to take if Los Angeles County moves to Scenario 3. You can learn more about the scenarios and the recommendations by clicking the following link California Department of Health’s School Guidance on Novel Coronavirus or COVID-19
Please note, there is no indication or direction to close schools at this time.
Please visit the County of Los Angeles Public Health's web page for FAQs and other resources: http://publichealth.lacounty.gov/media/Coronavirus/
As a reminder, the best prevention against any virus is to wash our hands often. Please make sure to wash your hands as frequently as possible. As always, we thank you for your ongoing support. By working together we will be able to navigate these challenging times.
Lastly, Coronavirus is not specific to any race, nationality or ethnicity. We want to ensure that students and staff do not experience harassment or stigmatization as a result of concerns about the COVID-19 virus. Please report any concerns about any such behaviors to the school administration.
If you have further questions, please contact Jeanette Koh, Director of Educational Services at (909) 595-1261 extension 31257 or email@example.com
根据洛杉矶县公共卫生局（公共卫生）的估计，很快我们將會有更多确诊病例。 不过，县卫生部门也告诉我们，没有生病的学生可以继续上学，学校還是照常上課。 公共卫生局将与学校合作，以個案评估來确定学校是否需要停課或关闭。
- 限制访客进入学校，不允许有发烧和/或呼吸道感染症状，或在过去14天内有旅行過CDC认定为3级旅行健康通告区域的人进入。 （这是先前指导原則的再次提醒。）
- 如果学生有发烧的輕微不舒服，在不吃退烧药的情況下72小时内沒有烧才可以到學校。 我们已将无发烧标准从24小时更改为72小时。
- 我们目前正在与公共卫生機構一起确定對学校其他活动項目的影响。 （我们會继续监视情况再向您更新訊息。）
如果洛杉矶县將情勢移至方案3，我们會计划采取其他措施。您可以通过以下網站来了解有关方案和建议的更多信息。California Department of Health’s School Guidance on Novel Coronavirus or COVID-19
提醒您，预防任何病毒的最佳方法是勤洗手。 请尽可能经常洗手。我们再次感谢您一直以来的支持。 通过大家共同努力，我们将能够应对充满挑战的艱難时刻。
最后，冠状病毒并非针对任何种族，国籍或族群。 我们希望确保学生和教职员不会因为人們對COVID-19病毒的担心而遭到困扰或被貼上标簽。如果对此类行为有任何担忧, 请向学校管理部门提出。
如果还有其他疑问，请致電Jeanette Koh, 教育服务部主任 (909) 595-1261 或 firstname.lastname@example.org