Skip to main content

Walnut valley Unified School District

Main Menu Toggle
ALLmeansALL! Walnut Valley USD is proud to be a National Schools to Watch District with numerous National Blue Ribbon, California Gold Ribbon, and California Distinguished School awards. Our motto is KIDS FIRST... Every Student, Every Day!  
F-1 Student Visas(I-20) » Applying for F-1 Student Visa

Applying for F-1 Student Visa

Applying for an F-1 Student Visa (I-20)

Welcome to the Walnut Valley Unified School District! This information is for international students who are seeking a one-year public high school experience. Diamond Bar High School ( and Walnut High School (, our two award winning high schools, have been authorized by the U.S. Government to issue I-20 forms. Please go to the high school website to learn more about the many programs offered at each of our two schools. Students will only be accepted in grades 9, 10, and 11 based on the completed transcripts and we will not allow students to repeat a completed year of school. WVUSD does not accept students during their senior year.

• The application period is from March 1st through June 1st for the following school year for any new or transferring student. 

• The application packet must be completed accurately and complete (including supporting documents) by the June 1st deadline.  This includes the processing and tuition fee.  

Students who wish to attend a public high school in the Walnut Valley Unified School District on an F-1 Student Visa will be required to receive an I-20 application form. In order to receive the I-20 Form, students must fill out the application form (below) so that the District can determine if the student is able to fulfill the requirements for acceptance. The fee for attendance for one year is $18,000 (plus the $150.00 non-refundable application fee).

Applications are to be submitted In Person to Director of Pupil Personnel Services.  Please follow the steps outlined in the application for any New I-20 or F-1 Transfer Student.  

When Do I Need to Apply for My F-1 Student Visa?

   Students are encouraged to apply for their visa early to provide ample time for visa processing (January). Students may apply for their visa as soon as they are prepared to do so.

   Students should note that Embassies and Consulates are able to issue your student visa 120 days or less, in advance of the course of study registration date. If you apply for your visa more than 120 days prior to your start date or registration date as provided on the Form I-20, the Embassy or Consulate will hold your application until it is able to issue the visa. Consular officials will use that extra time for application processing.

   Students are advised of the Department of Homeland Security regulation that requires, that all initial or beginning students enter the U.S. 30 days or less in advance of the course of study start/report date as shown on the Form I-20. Please consider this date carefully when making travel plans to the U.S.

For more detailed steps on “How to Apply” please review the information on the U.S. Department of State – Bureau of Consular Affairs (U.S. Visas) and the Student Exchange and Visitor Program websites.